The CU Foundation partners with the University of Colorado to raise, manage, and invest private support for the university’s benefit. Our donors help the university transform lives through education, research, clinical care, and community engagement.
In 1967, the private, nonprofit University of Colorado Foundation was created by a group of dedicated volunteers and community leaders. They foresaw the need to supplement state funding, tuition, and other revenue streams with fundraising support.
The strategic vision and organizational framework was developed by volunteers Ira Rothgerber, Jr., Joseph Coors, Sr., Lou Degan, Nicholas Petry, Neil Norgren and Leonard Perlmutter among others. Their vision called for an independent, private CU Foundation that would:
- Strategically solicit and manage private funds for the University on a centralized basis.
- Ensure Foundation staff is accountable to donors first and foremost.
- Ensure the ability to protect the confidentiality of donors and fundraising strategies and processes by structuring the organization as an independent nonprofit.
- Ensure that private funding sources are managed with a view toward long-term growth and success, and not solely subject to short-term demands and pressures.
- Ensure private giving is not used as an offset for state support in difficult economic situations.
To receive, manage and prudently invest private support for the benefit of the University of Colorado.
The University of Colorado Foundation assists the University of Colorado in achieving its goals as a world class public research institution through the Foundation’s role as the single portal for philanthropic giving to the University and by prudently managing and growing its endowments for the benefit of the University and future generations of students.
The CU Foundation strives for excellence in the delivery of good customer service to our donors and to our University partners.
The CU Foundation is innovative and, through continuous process improvements, delivers its services efficiently and effectively.
The CU Foundation strives to be an exceptional steward of the resources it manages for the benefit of the University, always seeking to preserve and grow the value of the University’s endowment.
The CU Foundation strives to be an exceptional steward of donor intent, always focused on managing its funds in compliance with the purposes established by donors.